News from Associates
- Seminar of Representation Theory and Related Areas: First Workshop.
University of Coimbra, April 06, 2011.
The Seminar of Representation Theory and Related Areas was conceived in 2010 and emerged from an informal seminar of mathematicians from the Math Departments of the Universities of Coimbra, Lisboa and Porto, with research interests in Representation Theory of Groups and Algebras, as well as Combinatorics.
The group aims to pursue and develop interactions between Representation Theory, Geometry, Combinatorics and other relevant areas. Participation is open to anyone with interests in these and other related areas.
Speakers: K. Erdmann (University of Oxford; R. Mamede (Universidade de Coimbra);
P. Carvalho (Universidade do Porto);I. Yudin (Universidade de Coimbra);
C. Florentino (Universidade Técnica de Lisboa); A. M. Neto (Universidade Técnica de Lisboa);
S. Launois (University of Kent - Canterbury)
- Non-Associative Algebras and Related Topics. University of Coimbra, July 25-29, 2011.
The aim of this conference is to bring together mathematicians and physicists interested in this field, with a central goal of increasing the quality of research, promoting interaction among researchers and discussing new directions for the future.
There will be Mini-Courses given by: S. Benayadi, A. Elduque, V. Futorny and A. Pozhidaev.
Plenary Lectures: G. Benkart, S. Majid, C. Martinez, I. Shestakov and E. Zelmanov
- IDOTA - Integral and Differential Operators and their Applications, June 30 to July 2, 2011, University of Aveiro.
International conference in honour of Professor Stefan Samko on the occasion of his 70th birthday, organized by the Center for Research and Development in Mathematics and Applications of the University of Aveiro.
The topics of the conference include (but are not limited to): Integral and Differential Operators; Variable Exponent Analysis; Harmonic Analysis; Function Spaces; Nonlinear Analysis; Factorization Theory; Boundary Value Problems; PDEs.
- Martin Costabel (Rennes, France)
- Roland Duduchava (Tbilisi, Georgia)
- George Hsiao (Delaware, USA)
- Vakhtang Kokilashvili (Tbilisi, Georgia)
- Carlos Pérez (Seville, Spain)
- Lars-Erik Persson (Luleå, Sweden)
- Ilya Spitkovsky (Williamsburg, USA)
- Vladimir Rabinovich (Mexico City, Mexico)
- Wolfgang Wendland (Stuttgart, Germany)
- Equations Day, September 10, 2010 – Center of Mathematics, University of Minho, Campus de Gualtar, Braga.
One day of lectures on Ordinary Differential Equations and Functional Differential Equations, gathering researchers from Portugal and Galiza, trying to use the geographic proximity to establish new scientific contacts.
- Prof. Alberto Cabala (University of Santiago de Compostela)
- Prof.ª Carlota Rebelo (University of Lisboa)
- Prof. Luis Sanchez (University of Lisboa)
- Prof.ª Sandra Pinelas (University of Açores)
- Prof.ª Teresa Faria (University of Lisboa)
- Encontro no Douro: Equações Diferenciais e Aplicações – Folgosa do Douro, Armamar, October 2-4, 2010.
This meeting provides the opportunity to get to know or to upgrade the works developed by some portuguese and foreign researchers within the framework of partial differential equations, ordinary differential equations and their applications. The pleasant landscape of the river shore of Douro River will be the stage of what is expected to be a fruitful scientific interchange.
The International Programme Committee of the joint ICMI-ICIAM Study
Educational Interfaces between Mathematics and Industry (EIMI), has released the
and international call for active studies and contributions to the EIMI_ 2010 Study Conference, that will take place in Lisbon, Portugal, on April 19-23, 2010. The respective
can be openly accessed, may be freely distributed and is the basis for the 20th ICMI Study. It will appear soon at the international journal
L’Enseignement Mathématique, founded in 1899, which is an official organ of the
International Commission on Mathematical Instruction.
- SETA 2009 – Spatial Extremes, Theory and Applications, Parque das Nações, Lisbon, April 6-8, 2009.
The workshop is concerned with data of a spatial character such as rainfall, air pollution, waves at sea etc. The focus is on extreme behaviour of variables such as exceptionally damaging rainfall, a very high concentration of pollutants over some area. Since these phenomena have a strong random component the models to be used need to be random models i.e. stochastic processes in space and possibly also in time describing extreme phenomena. This area of research has been opened up only recently and we bring together specialists with varying backgrounds and view points: the background may be meteorology (van den Brink), physical modelling (Rychlik), geostatistics (Cooley, Schlather) or probabilistic/statistical (Anderson, Drees, Einmahl, Walshaw). We expect a lively meeting by bringing together outstanding scientists from various backgrounds studying the same phenomena.
- XVIIIth Oporto Meeting on Geometry, Topology and Physics, Porto, July 9-12, 2009.
The aim of this meeting is to bring together mathematicians and physicists interested in the inter-relation between geometry, topology and physics and to provide them with a pleasant and informal environment for scientific interchange.
- The Centro Internacional de Matemática organizes and sponsors the International Programme Committee meeting of the international study on
Educational Interfaces between Mathematics and Industry. The meeting took place in Óbidos, Portugal, during 2-5 October, 2008 and is a joint study of ICMI (the IMU International Commission on Mathematical Instruction) and
(International Council for Industrial and Applied Mathematics). Mathematical "Training and Education" for industry was identified as an important issue in the recent report of the OECD (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development) on
Mathematics in Industry, that also contains valuable references to other resources in this area.
- Special Track "Computational Bioimaging and Visualization" - International Symposium on Visual Computing (ISVC08), Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, December 1-3, 2008.
This Special Track will bring researchers representing
various fields related to Computational Vision, Computer Graphics,
Computational Mechanics, Scientific Visualization, Mathematics,
Statistics, and Medical Imaging, among others.
- PhD Programme in Telecommunications
The PhD Programme in Telecommunications is a joint venture of Universidade do Minho, Universidade de Aveiro and Universidade do Porto, three Portuguese Universities with a strong tradition in the area of Telecommunications Engineering. The programme represents a fusion of the doctoral offers in Telecommunications in the three institutions and constitutes a unified effort to prepare highly qualified human resources in Telecommunications. Web: http://www.map.edu.pt/tele.
- Research in Pairs at CRM Pisa
The De Giorgi Research Center has facilities for research work in pairs and welcomes applications for their use for limited periods. These facilities include: office space and computing facilities; access to the libraries of the Scuola Normale Superiore and of the University of Pisa; lodging; cafeteria. Applicants should contact the Director of the Center, Prof. Mariano Giaquinta, at the address: email@example.com.